Friday, October 29, 2004

January 9, 1859, Augusta, Georgia

Dear Beckie,



We have some cold weather now. Yesterday morning the ice out of doors was as thick as window glass and every body put on their flannel shirts and drawers and rolled themselves up in overcoats and blanket shawls and blowed into their fists and pinched their noses and punched up the fires and run up and down the streets, just as you do when the air is -20 degrees. And what's strange I could not stand the cold any better than the Augustans. I who have travelled all day without going near a fire on the coldest winter's day in Iowa, could not keep warm while I walked the half mile between the store and the house! When I came here I tho't that I could be comfortable in the coldest weather they ever have.



(Rest of letter torn off.)

No comments:

Post a Comment